Matt Ahrens is a software engineer at Delphix, where he leads a team working on ZFS for Delphix's database virtualization appliance. Matt co-founded the ZFS project at Sun Microsystems in 2001, designed and implemented major components of ZFS including snapshots and remote replication, and helped lead Sun's ZFS team for 9 years. He continues to develop ZFS code, as well as coordinating open-source ZFS development across companies and platforms.
Matt founded the OpenZFS community, a collaboration among FreeBSD, Linux, Mac OS X, and illumos ZFS developers. He has presented at Sun Tech Days, the Open Storage Summit, BSDCan, LinuxCon, EuroBSDcon, AsiaBSDcon, and dotScale. He created the annual OpenZFS_Developer_Summit conference in 2013, and organizes it and delivers a keynote each year. Matt leads the monthly OpenZFS Leadership Meetings.
Matt advises several companies that use ZFS in their products, providing training and helping them design new features and performance enhancements for their specific use cases.
In his spare time, Matt enjoys woodworking, traveling, and working on dtrace. Matt lives in San Francisco with his spouse and two children.
Matt has a degree in Computer Science from Brown University.
Press / talks
- slides and video of my talk on RAIDZ Expansion at the FreeBSD Developer Summit, June 2021
- slides and video of my talk on Send/Receive Performance Enhancements at OpenZFS Developer Summit, October 2020
- slides and video of my talk on How ZFS Snapshots Really Work at BSDCAN, May 2019
- slides and video of my talk on Device Removal at OpenZFS Developer Summit, September 2018
- video of my talk on Flexible Disk Use at BSDCAN, June 2018
- slides and video of my talk on Flexible Disk Use at the ZFS User Conference, April 2018
- slides and video from talk on OpenZFS Basics at SCALE16x, March 2018
- slides from my talk on Improving the ZFS User-Kernel API with Channel Programs, at BSDCAN, June 2017
- video of Q&A with Austin McChord, CEO of Datto, at the ZFS User Conference, March 2017.
- video and slides from my lecture about Snapshots, Space Allocation, and RAID-Z at Brown University, March 2017 (alternate video of the same material from the ZFS User Conference)
- video from my "History of ZFS" talk at MeetBSD, November 2016.
- video and slides from my "State of the Union" talk at the OpenZFS Developer Summit, September 2016.
- video and slides from my talk on ZFS Allocation Performance at BSDCAN, June 2016
- video of my lecture on ZFS read and write code paths - a code walk-through. March 2016
- video from my keynote at the OpenZFS Developer Summit, October 2015.
- video from my presentation on ZFS send and receive at BSDCAN, June 2015
- video from my presentation on ZFS send and receive at the OpenZFS European Conerence, May 2015
- slides from my presentation on ZFS send and receive at AsiaBSDcon, March 2015.
- slides and video of my keynote at the OpenZFS Developer Summit, November 2014.
- slides and video of my keynote at the OpenZFS European Conference, May 2014.
- slides and video of my talk about how Delphix uses OpenZFS and contributes to the community, from the OpenZFS European Conference, May 2014.
- slides and video of my talk about cloud storage at dotScale, May 2014.
- slides and associated paper for my keynote presentation at AsiaBSDcon, March 2014
- audio recording and slides from presentation at AsiaBSDcon developer summit, March 2014
- slides and video of my keynote at the OpenZFS Developer Summit, November 2013.
- video of OpenZFS Office Hours that I hosted, October 2013
- video of presentation at NOSIG, October 2013
- Register article on OpenZFS, September 2013
- podcast interview with Will Backman for BSDtalk, June 2013
- video of keynote at ZFS Day, October 2012