OpenZFS Developer Summit
OpenZFS Developer Summit 2013
Delphix is hosting a developer-focused event for OpenZFS. The goal of the event is to foster cross-platform community discussions of OpenZFS work, and to make progress on some of the projects proposed for this community.
We were previously calling this event "OpenZFS Day", but decided to rename it to reflect its target audience of ZFS developers.
The high-level agenda is:
|Monday, Nov 18||
|Tuesday, Nov 19||Hackathon (hopefully start work on some of the Projects the community has suggested)|
The event will be in the San Francisco Bay Area, most likely in San Francisco. The specific location will depend on how many people plan to attend. The hope is that we can have it at the Delphix office in San Francisco. If it becomes too big, we'll have to reconsider and find a different location.
Note: If you are in the room, you are potentially a speaker. This will be done in unconference style, so every attendee should come prepared to present or otherwise lead a discussion or session of up to 45 minutes. You can indicate potential topics in the registration table below.
The goals of the hackathon are:
- to get people working with ZFS engineers from outside their normal circles
- to start work on some of the projects we'd like to accomplish
Therefore, we should plan to work in small teams of 2-3 engineers. The team members could be pair-programming, splitting up the work into discrete tasks for each person, or advising / implementing.
Add your idea and your name below. Be prepared to explain your idea at the beginning of the hackathon and enlist/entice others to help with it.
- Userland ioctls: support for send/recv (fd operations over the wire) User:mahrens
- larger (1MB) blocksize: shouldn't be too hard if we ignore performance impact User:mahrens
- dedicated kmem_cache for dedup table entries
- stdin / stdout buffer to improve performance of zfs send and receive
- replace dn_ranges/free_range_t with range_tree_t User:mahrens
- ZFS mechanism to override devices' reported sector size (512 vs 4k) (alex @ delphix)
- feature flags enhancements for send streams User:csiden
- set owner of all files within a filesystem with a ZFS property User:csiden
If you plan to attend the event, please edit this page and add yourself below, or contact email@example.com. If you would like to present and/or have suggestions for what you would like to learn about, please include those details. We are expecting everyone will be there to contribute/participate. (If you need edit permission for this page, email your login name to firstname.lastname@example.org)
The sign up deadline is 11:59pm Pacific Time on Sunday, October 27, 2013. We need to have a cutoff date so that we can plan for a space that is large enough to accommodate everyone who wants to attend.
|Name||Affiliation||What do you want to talk about?||Your experience with ZFS||Travel information||T-shirt Size||Food allergies/preferences? (please list)|
|Matt Ahrens||Delphix||OpenZFS repo: what interfaces should be supported||Founded ZFS, OpenZFS||Local to SF||M||none|
|Sanjeev Bagewadi||Pluribus Networks||Was part of the RPE team in Sun which fixed ZFS issues faced by customers||Will be in the Bay Area around that time||M||none|
|Brian Behlendorf||LLNL||Portable memory management & FMA infrastructure||ZFS on Linux Maintainer||Local to east Bay Area||L||none|
|Max Grossman||Delphix||Making it easier to get new ZFS developers up to speed (retrospective on the hole birth feature)||3 months so far, still so much to learn...||Local||L||none|
|John Wren Kennedy||Delphix||Uniform test coverage for OpenZFS||Supported ZFS in RPE at Sun/Oracle, and test ZFS in QA at Delphix.||Denver||L||none|
|Adam Leventhal||Delphix||ZFS performance investigations?||RAID-Z2/3, performance work, some small ZFS tasks here and there||local||L||none|
|Jorgen Lundman||GMO Internet||ZFS, portability||ZFS on OSX||Tokyo||XL||none|
|Robert Mustacchi||Joyent||Misc. debugging||Local to SF||L||None|
|Tony Nguyen||Nexenta||Misc. debugging, import and I/O performance||flying in from Denver||M||None|
|Boris Protopopov||Nexenta||Resumable send/recv, defrag, storage tiering, spare management||ZFS dev lead at Nexenta, ZFS extensions for enterprise class features and performance||Boston||M||None|
|Alex Reece||Delphix||small bug fixes||local||M||No marinera|
|Karyn Ritter||Delphix||Community management (discussion)||local||M|
|Craig Rodrigues||iXsystems||ZFS developer for TrueNAS and FreeNAS products||FreeBSD release engineering team member||local||L||none|
|Chris Siden||Delphix||ZFS Channel Programs, feature flags enhancements for send streams||Worked on feature flags and async destroy||local||L||none|
|Prakash Surya||LLNL||Misc. work on Linux port. Much to learn, still.||Local to east Bay Area||M||none|
|Ilya Usvyatsky||Nexenta||resumable send/recv, defrag||?||?||?||?|
|George Wilson||Delphix||performance on full & fragmented pools||Implemented lots of SPA & VDEV stuff||flying in from Atlanta ~Monday - Thursday (TBD)||?||none|
– please keep the table above sorted by last name.
Please contact email@example.com if you'd like to be a sponsor of this event.
Sponsorship opportunities include:
- Breakfast (2 days) - Sponsored! Thank you Cloudscaling and iXsystems.
- Lunch (2 days)
- Coffee Breaks (2 days) - Sponsored! Thank you iXsystems
- Beer Bash (day 1) - Sponsored! Thank you DDRdrive
- T-Shirts - Sponsored! Thank you Delphix
What do you get for sponsoring:
- Your name/link on this page!
- Thank you mention during the opening and closing
- Space to put your pop-up banner at the conference venue
- An opportunity to be known as a ZFS supporter in a very talented and influential community.