Welcome to OpenZFS
OpenZFS launches today, September 17th 2013; read the announcement!
The OpenZFS project is the truly open source successor to the ZFS project. Our community brings together developers from the illumos, FreeBSD, Linux, and OS X platforms, and a wide range of companies that are building products on top of OpenZFS.
OpenZFS is an outstanding storage platform that encompasses the functionality of traditional filesystems, volume managers, and more, with consistent reliability, functionality and performance across all distributions.
Each implementation is maintained by a different group of developers, but platform-independent work is shared between the implementations. The OpenZFS community brings together developers from all of these implementations.
|ZFS on Linux||Webpage||Github|
The high-level goals of the OpenZFS project are:
- to raise awareness of the quality, utility, and availability of open source implementations of ZFS
- to encourage open communication about ongoing efforts to improve open source ZFS
- to ensure consistent reliability, functionality, and performance of all distributions of ZFS.
The main technical goal of the project is easier sharing of code between platforms. Strategies include:
- creating a platform-independent mailing list for developers to review ZFS code and architecture changes from all platforms
- smoothing the illumos integration process
- making it easy to run both ztest and the ZFS test suite (TestRunner or STF based) on each platform
- reducing code differences between the platforms.
- How to participate
- Companies creating products based on OpenZFS
- Download distributions that include OpenZFS
- Developer resources
- About OpenZFS