Welcome to OpenZFS
OpenZFS brings together developers and users from various open-source forks of the original ZFS on different platforms and we're always looking to grow our community. There are a multitude of ways to contribute to the project and contributors are happy to help newcomers. As we add diverse perspectives, our community becomes richer, and we're committed to creating an environment where all people feel welcome. Information for new contributors is available here.
Primary activities of the community include:
- Group discussions in the openzfs slack group (openzfs.slack.com) <== instructions for joining
- Monthly Leadership Team Meeting
- Annual OpenZFS Developer Summit
- Individual and company presentations around the world promoting OpenZFS
- Reduce platform differences (see ongoing project spreadsheet)
OpenZFS is an associated project of SPI (Software in the Public Interest). SPI is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization which handles our donations, finances, and legal holdings. You can donate to OpenZFS using the link below:
OpenZFS was announced in September 2013 as the truly open source successor to the ZFS project. Our community brings together developers from the illumos, FreeBSD, Linux, macOS, NetBSD, and Windows platforms, and a wide range of companies that build products on top of OpenZFS.
OpenZFS is an outstanding storage platform that encompasses the functionality of traditional filesystems, volume managers, and more, with consistent reliability, functionality, and performance across all distributions:
|ZoF – ZFS on FreeBSD||Webpage||GitHub|
|ZoL – ZFS on Linux||Webpage||GitHub|
|OpenZFS on macOS||Webpage||GitHub|
|OpenZFS on Windows||Webpage||GitHub|
Planning is underway for the eighth annual OpenZFS Developer Summit. The event will be held online October 6-7 (Tue-Wed).
The high-level goals of OpenZFS are to:
- raise awareness of the quality, utility, and availability of open source implementations of ZFS,
- encourage open communication about ongoing efforts to improve open source ZFS, and
- ensure consistent reliability, functionality, and performance of all distributions of ZFS.
The main technical goal of OpenZFS is easier sharing of code between platforms.
We accept donations to cover our ongoing costs.
OpenZFS is an associated project of SPI (Software in the Public Interest). SPI is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization which handles our donations, finances, and legal holdings. You can donate through paypal using the link below: