Welcome to OpenZFS
OpenZFS was announced in September 2013 as the truly open source successor to the ZFS project. Our community brings together developers from the illumos, FreeBSD, Linux, and OS X platforms, and a wide range of companies that build products on top of OpenZFS.
OpenZFS is an outstanding storage platform that encompasses the functionality of traditional filesystems, volume managers, and more, with consistent reliability, functionality and performance across all distributions:
|ZFS on Linux||Webpage||GitHub|
|OpenZFS on OS X||Webpage||GitHub|
The ZFS User Conference will be held April 19-20, 2017.
OpenZFS Developer Summit 2018 <-- click for more info
The sixth annual OpenZFS Developer Summit is being planned, and will be the week of September 10, 2018 in San Francisco. Watch this space for more details.
You can see details about last year's conference on the OpenZFS Developer Summit 2017 page
Pull requests submitted to our GitHub page are automatically tested, by running ztest and the ZFS Test Suite. We use illumos VM's running on AWS to perform the tests, and results are available publicly.
Thanks to infrastructure sponsor Nexenta for covering our AWS hosting costs!
The high-level goals of OpenZFS are:
- to raise awareness of the quality, utility, and availability of open source implementations of ZFS
- to encourage open communication about ongoing efforts to improve open source ZFS
- to ensure consistent reliability, functionality, and performance of all distributions of ZFS.
The main technical goal of OpenZFS is easier sharing of code between platforms. Strategies include:
- creating a platform-independent mailing list for developers to review ZFS code and architecture changes from all platforms
- smoothing the illumos integration process
- making it easy to run both ztest and the ZFS test suite (TestRunner or STF based) on each platform
- reducing code differences between the platforms.
We perform automated testing on all OpenZFS Pull Requests, which run on public cloud infrastructure (Amazon AWS). We accept donations to cover our AWS bills.
OpenZFS is an associated project of SPI (Software in the Public Interest). SPI is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization which handles our donations, finances, and legal holdings. You can donate through paypal using the link below:
ZFS User Conference
The ZFS User Conference will be held April 19-20th, 2018, in Norwalk CT. Details to come!
The first ZFS User Conference was held March 16-17, 2017, in Norwalk CT. Videos and slides from the conference are available here: zfs.datto.com
- How to participate
- Companies with products that are based on OpenZFS
- Download distributions that include OpenZFS
- Events – the forthcoming OpenZFS Developer Summit and more
- Developer resources
- Documentation for users/sysadmins
- About OpenZFS
All main pages (alphabetical order) …