OpenZFS is open-source storage software which encompasses the functionality of traditional filesystems, volume managers, and more. Our community brings together developers from the illumos, FreeBSD, Linux, and MacOS platforms, and a wide range of companies and organizations. By working together, we will continue making OpenZFS an outstanding storage platform, with consistent reliability and functionality across all distributions.
OpenZFS is the truly open source successor to the ZFS project originally developed by Sun Microsystems for the Solaris operating system. The source code for ZFS was released under the CDDL in 2005 as part of the OpenSolaris operating system, and was subsequently ported to other platforms:
- In 2006 the first alpha release of ZFS support on Linux via FUSE was released.
- In 2007 FreeBSD 7.0 included native support for ZFS.
- In 2008 the ZFS on Linux project began development of a native Linux port which had its first stable release in 2013.
- The MacZFS project is porting ZFS to Mac OS.
After OpenSolaris was discontinued in 2010, updates to ZFS on Solaris were no longer released as open source. As a result, the illumos project was founded as an open source fork of OpenSolaris. OpenZFS development continues to thrive as a part of illumos which has added many new features and performance improvements. All ports to other platforms now regularly pull in new OpenZFS features and fixes from illumos and vise versa.
The main technical goal of the OpenZFS project is to make it easier to share changes to ZFS between platforms. We have a number of efforts toward this:
- A platform-independent mailing list for ZFS developers to review ZFS code and architecture changes from all platforms.
- Smoothing the illumos integration process.
- Make it easy to run both ztest and the ZFS test suite (TestRunner or STF based) on every platform
- Reduce code differences between the platforms
- Companies and organizations
- OpenZFS Features
- Platforms (Operating Systems)
- Project Ideas
- Publications and Conference Talks
- Mailing list
- illumos integration process
- Reduce code differences
This website is kindly hosted on hardware provided by, and software written by the nice folk at HybridCluster, which is a ZFS-powered hosting platform which provides HA and auto-scaling with container-based live-migration for LAMP apps on FreeBSD.